Wednesday, April 25, 2012

birthday restaurant fort lauderdale riverfront

can anyone recommend a restaurant with great food and service for my birthday 12/28? Two adults. we will be just off a cruise and are staying one night at the Hampton Inn ';downtown'; and will not have a car. Understand you can walk to the riverfront area from the hotel, but if there%26#39;s a super place that requires a cab ride, that%26#39;s fine too. Many thanks and Merry Christmas to all!



birthday restaurant fort lauderdale riverfront


JSN - while the name of the hotel is Hampton Inn downtown, you should know that it%26#39;s not in a good neighborhood - at least at night. During the day it%26#39;s safe, but I would cab it at night.



If it were me, I%26#39;d head to the Grill Room at the Riverside Hotel. It%26#39;s on Las Olas Blvd., and while it%26#39;s walkable from the Hampton Inn, again I say I would probably cab it. The reason I picked the Riverside is because the hotel and the boulevard will be all decorated for the holidays....not to mention that the food is great as well! It%26#39;s a place for a celebration :)



After your dinner, stroll the boulevard and head to Kilwin%26#39;s for some chocolate and ice cream. Yum yum!!



birthday restaurant fort lauderdale riverfront


As I re-read my post, I realized that I should probably explain my verbiage about the hotel being in a not-so-good neighborhood. Between the hotel and the New River, there%26#39;s a park where there are typically homeless people and older kids - which translates to me not wanting to walk there. Better to be safe than sorry, so I would take a cab - or perhaps the trolley. The trolley does have a weekend schedule and it runs right by the Hampton Inn. Check it out at www.suntrolley.com




Many thanks for the great info! We will have fun on the trolley and hopefully a great birthday dinner.




Tarpon Bend. The crab crusteed mahi mahi is awesome!




Tarpon Bend .... have you read the reviews? My request is for a special birthday dinner; this place sounds like alot of fun for drinks after work.





If anyone else has some ideas for a nice dinner in the FTL RiverFront area, I%26#39;d welcome them.




JSN, there aren%26#39;t many restaurants in the New River area. River House is still there and while it is a lovely place, the recent reviews haven%26#39;t been all that great. It%26#39;s pricey for great ambience but just so-so food. They do have their menu on line, but no prices are listed.



I still think I%26#39;d head to Las Olas but it%26#39;s your birthday and I wish there were more New River options.



Lulu, Pat, Sue - any suggetions?




None except to agree with Abby that you%26#39;ll likely be better served heading to Las Olas Blvd, not Riverfront , as most of the Riverfront complex is pretty dead.It%26#39;s basically a matter of heading east, rather than west, at the foot of the Andrews Ave. bridge. Tarpon Bend and Himmarshhee , among others , are not really in Riverfront- they are in Himmarshee Village right near it- and both get good reviews for their food, but Las Olas would have a really wide selection of restaurants. Himmarshee Village is a street near Riverfront that has many restaurants and bars , but you may find the stmosphere too ';clubby '; rather than sophisticated, from what I read in your post. I haven%26#39;t been down in so long to see what may have closed, as restaurants do come and go around here , but Johhny V%26#39;s is a celebrity chef place there that has excellent food, Riley McDermott%26#39;s is a newer place run by a few Emeril relatives and associates , and I think Abby already mentioned the Grill Room at the Riverside.





I have celebrated at the tiny, romantic Las Olas Cafe , which has great food and very atmospheric courtyard dining. I hope it is still there ( the Rack of lamb is lovely) but it is tiny and I don%26#39;t hear much about it- let me see if I can give you a few website links so you can study menus of various spots




I often use this site to look up restaurant menus and it is a good place for you to start. I hope the link takes you directly to the section listed as Las Olas/Downtown. I don%26#39;t happen to agree with teh way they geographicaly combine areas- but within the many restaurants listed here are some whose menus I suggest you study:





At Himmarshee Village :





Himmarshee Bar and Grill ( you%26#39;ll see it gets good reviews)





Tarpon Bend ( really does have good food, but you may find it too casual in atmosphere)





On Las Olas Blvd:





Las Olas Cafe



Grill Room at Las Olas



Jackson%26#39;s Steakhouse



Johhny V



Riley McDermott%26#39;s







This site usually does a good job of keeping up with closures, but I see a few that are not correctly marked a s closed, so you%26#39;ll want to double check ( and definitely make a reservation anyway at that very busy time)





A previous poster had mentioned that the River House , a very impressive building that used to be a good special occasion spot , is , at least at the moment , closed, except for banquets and group gatherings. I had found that the food there had declined in the recent months, so I wouldn%26#39;t have recommended it anyway-There certainly may be more closures etc in the coming months due to rough economic times- check back with us right before you%26#39;re coming for an update.





I%26#39;ll see if this link works well after I post it- sometimes they don%26#39;t seem to open properly- but I%26#39;ll do my best to correct it if it doesn%26#39;t.





As locals will know, several of the restaurants listed on that particular section, would not be described by me as Las Olas or Downtown for location, but it is such a good resource otherwise!





southflorida.menupages.com/restaurants.asp鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment